Genes, Circuits, & Behavior
We aim to understand the genetic and neural basis of brain functions in Drosophila. Our missions are: (i) to construct a wiring diagram of the entire fly brain; and (ii) to understand the design of individual circuits for both innate and learned behaviors.
Wiring diagram. We have generated a standard Drosophila brain for archiving and analysis of individual neurons. We are currently trying to construct (i) a mesoscopic map showing connections between different neuropilar regions; and (ii) a map of synaptic connectivity amongst olfactory neurons.
Brain functions. Our focus is on understanding circuits and genes involved in olfactory, auditory, gustatory, sleep, courtship, fighting, aging, fear, and learned behaviors.
- Schoofs A, Hückesfeld S, Schlegel P, Miroschnikow A, Bader R, Zeymer M, Spieß R, Chiang AS, Pankratz MJ* (2014) Selection of motor programs for suppressing food intake and inducing locomotion in the Drosophila brain. PLOS Biology (in press) (IF: 11.771, 5-Year IF: 12.807)
- Chin AL, Lin CY, Fu TF, Dickson BJ, Chiang AS* (2014) Diversity and Wiring Variability of Visual Local Neurons in the Drosophila Medulla M6 Stratum. The Journal of Comparative Neurology, 00:00–00. PDF
- Wu MC, Chu LA, Hsiao PY, Lin YY, Chi CC, Liu TH, Fu CC, Chiang AS* (2014) Optogenetic control of selective neural activity in multiple freely moving Drosophila adults. PNAS vol. 111,5367-5372. (IF: 9.737, 5-Year IF: 10.583) PDF
- Lin CY, Chuang CC, Hua TE, Chen CC, Dickson BJ, Greenspan RJ, Chiang AS* (2013) A comprehensive wiring diagram of the protocerebral bridge for visual information processing in the Drosophila brain. Cell Reports 3, 1739-1753.
- Lin HH, Chu LA, Fu TF, Dickson BJ, Chiang AS* (2013) Parallel neural pathways mediate CO2 avoidance responses in Drosophila. Science 340, 1338-1341. (IF: 31.027, 5-Year IF: 33.582)
- Pai TP, Chen CC, Lin HH, Chin AL, Lai JSY, Lee PT, Tully T, Chiang AS* (2013) Drosophila ORB protein in two mushroom body-output neurons is necessary for long-term memory formation.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 110, 7898-7903.(IF: 9.737, 5-Year IF: 10.583)
- Wu TH, Lu YN, Chuang CL, Wu CL, Chiang AS, Krantz DE, Chang HY (2013) Loss of vesicular dopamine release precedes tauopathy in degenerative dopaminergic neurons in a Drosophila model expressing human tau. Acta Neuropathologica 125, 711-725. (IF: 9.734, 5-Year IF: 8.562)
- Lehnert BP, Baker AE, Gaudry Q, Chiang AS, Wilson RI (2013) Distinct roles of TRP channels in auditory transduction and amplification in Drosophila. Neuron 77, 115-128. (IF: 15.766, 5-Year IF: 16.403)
- Chen CC, Wu JK, Lin HW, Pai TP, Fu TF, Wu CL, Tully T, Chiang AS* (2012) Visualizing long-term memory formation in two neurons of the Drosophila brain. Science 335, 678–685. (IF: 31) PDF (Faculty 1000 recommended; 101年大學指考試題39-41) (IF: 31.027, 5-Year IF: 33.582)
- Lai JSY, Lo SJ, Dickson BJ and Chiang AS* (2012) Auditory circuit in the Drosophila brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 109, 2607-2612. (IF: 10) PDF
- Lee PT, Lin HW, Chang YH, Fu TF, Dubnau J, Hirsh J, Lee T and Chiang AS* (2011) A serotoni-nmushroom body circuit modulating the formation of anesthesia-resistant memory in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108, 13794–13799. (IF: 9.737, 5-Year IF: 10.583) PDF
- Wu CL, Shih MF Lai SY, Yang HT, Turner GC, Chen L, Chiang AS* (2011) Heterotypic gap junctions between two neurons in the Drosophila brain are critical for memory. Curr Biol 21, 848-854. (IF: 9.494, 5-Year IF: 10.445) PDF
- Chang YC, Hung WT, Chang YC, Chang HC, Wu CL, Chiang AS, Jackson GR, Sang TK*. (2011) Pathogenic VCP/TER94 alleles are dominant actives and contribute to neurodegeneration by altering cellular ATP level in a Drosophila IBMPFD Model. PLoS Genetics 7, e1001288. (IF: 11) PDF
- Chiang AS*, Lin CY, Chuang CC, Chang HM, Hsieh CH, Yeh CW, Shih CT, Wu JJ, Wang GT, Chen YC, Wu CC, Chen GY, Ching YT, Lee PC, Lin CY, Lin HH, Wu CC, Hsu HW, Huang YA, Chen JY, Chiang HJ, Lu CF, Ni RF, Yeh CY, Hwang JK (2011) Three-dimensional reconstruction of brainwide wiring networks in Drosophila at single cell resolution. Current Biology 21, 1-11. (Article, cover story) (IF: 9.494, 5-Year IF: 10.445) 「紐約時報」專欄報導