Genes, Circuits, & Behavior
We are using molecular imaging techniques in Drosophila aiming to understand the genetic and neural basis of brain functions. Two main approaches are taken: (i) to construct a wiring diagram of the entire brain; and (ii) to understand computation in specific circuits for innate as well as learned behaviors.
Wiring diagram. We have generated a standard Drosophila brain for archiving and analysis of individual neurons. We are trying to construct (i) a circuitry map showing connections among different neuropilar regions; and (ii) a map of synaptic connectivity among olfactory neurons.
Brain functions. We focus on understanding circuits and genes involving in the computation process for olfactory, auditory, gustatory, sleep, courtship, fighting, aging, fear, and learned behaviors
- Chen CC, Wu JK, Lin HW, Pai TP, Fu TF, Wu CL, Tully T, Chiang AS* (2012) Visualizing long-term memory formation in two neurons of the Drosophila brain. Science 335, 678–685. (IF: 31) PDF
- Lai JSY, Lo SJ, Dickson BJ and Chiang AS* (2012) Auditory circuit in the Drosophila brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 109, 2607-2612. (IF: 10) PDF
- Lee PT#, Lin HW#, Chang YH, Fu TF, Dubnau J, Hirsh J, Lee T and Chiang AS* (2011) A serotoni-nmushroom body circuit modulating the formation of anesthesia-resistant memory in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108, 13794–13799. (IF: 10) PDF
- Wu CL#, Shih MF# Lai SY, Yang HT, Turner GC, Chen L, Chiang AS* (2011) Heterotypic gap junctions between two neurons in the Drosophila brain are critical for memory. Curr Biol 21, 848-854.(IF: 10) PDF
- Chang YC, Hung WT, Chang YC, Chang HC, Wu CL, Chiang AS, Jackson GR, Sang TK*. (2011) Pathogenic VCP/TER94 alleles are dominant actives and contribute to neurodegeneration by altering cellular ATP level in a Drosophila IBMPFD Model. PLoS Genetics 7, e1001288. (IF: 11) PDF