Genes, Circuits, & Behavior
We aim to understand the genetic and neural basis of brain functions in Drosophila. Our missions are: (i) to construct a wiring diagram of the entire fly brain; and (ii) to understand the design of individual circuits for both innate and learned behaviors.
Wiring diagram. We have generated a standard Drosophila brain for archiving and analysis of individual neurons. We are currently trying to construct (i) a mesoscopic map showing connections between different neuropilar regions; and (ii) a map of synaptic connectivity amongst olfactory neurons.
Brain functions. Our focus is on understanding circuits and genes involved in olfactory, auditory, gustatory, sleep, courtship, fighting, aging, fear, and learned behaviors.
- Lin CY, Chuang CC, Hua TE, Chen CC, Dickson BJ, Greenspan RJ, Chiang AS* (2013) A comprehensive wiring diagram of the protocerebral bridge for visual information processing in the Drosophila brain. Cell Reports 3, 1739-1753.
- Lin HH, Chu LA, Fu TF, Dickson BJ, Chiang AS* (2013) Parallel neural pathways mediate CO2 avoidance responses in Drosophila. Science 340, 1338-1341.
- Pai TP, Chen CC, Lin HH, Chin AL, Lai JSY, Lee PT, Tully T, Chiang AS* (2013) Drosophila ORB protein in two mushroom body-output neurons is necessary for long-term memory formation.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 110, 7898-7903.
- Chen CC, Wu JK, Lin HW, Pai TP, Fu TF, Wu CL, Tully T, Chiang AS* (2012) Visualizing long-term memory formation in two neurons of the Drosophila brain. Science 335, 678–685. (IF: 31) PDF (Faculty 1000 recommended; 101年大學指考試題39-41)
- Lai JSY, Lo SJ, Dickson BJ and Chiang AS* (2012) Auditory circuit in the Drosophila brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 109, 2607-2612. (IF: 10) PDF
- Lee PT, Lin HW, Chang YH, Fu TF, Dubnau J, Hirsh J, Lee T and Chiang AS* (2011) A serotoni-nmushroom body circuit modulating the formation of anesthesia-resistant memory in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108, 13794–13799. (IF: 10) PDF
- Wu CL, Shih MF Lai SY, Yang HT, Turner GC, Chen L, Chiang AS* (2011) Heterotypic gap junctions between two neurons in the Drosophila brain are critical for memory. Curr Biol 21, 848-854.(IF: 10) PDF
- Chang YC, Hung WT, Chang YC, Chang HC, Wu CL, Chiang AS, Jackson GR, Sang TK*. (2011) Pathogenic VCP/TER94 alleles are dominant actives and contribute to neurodegeneration by altering cellular ATP level in a Drosophila IBMPFD Model. PLoS Genetics 7, e1001288. (IF: 11) PDF